Berdon Blogs

TAX TALK: Overtime Wages – Will They be Changing?

Posted by Marcy Greenfield, CPA on May 8, 2017 9:17:00 AM

On May 2nd, the House of Representatives passed a change to the Fair Labor Standards Act to allow private sector employers to give their workers paid time off instead of time and half pay for overtime. 

Read More

Topics: TAX TALK

TAX TALK: Tax Implications of C Corp’s Buy-sell Agreement

Posted by Hal Zemel, CPA, J.D., LL.M. on May 1, 2017 11:50:00 AM

Private companies with more than one owner should have a buy-sell agreement to spell out how ownership shares will change hands should an owner depart. For businesses structured as C corporations, the agreements also have significant tax implications that are important to understand.

Buy-sell Basics

A buy-sell agreement sets up parameters for the transfer of ownership interests following stated “triggering events,” such as an owner’s death or long-term disability, loss of license or other legal incapacitation, retirement, bankruptcy, or divorce. The agreement typically will also specify how the purchase price for the departing owner’s shares will be determined, such as by stating the valuation method to be used.

Read More

Topics: TAX TALK

TAX TALK: Individual Tax Calendar: Key Deadlines for the Remainder of 2017

Posted by Hal Zemel, CPA, J.D., LL.M. on Apr 24, 2017 11:50:00 AM

While April 15 (April 18 this year) was the main tax deadline on most individual taxpayers’ minds, there are others through the rest of the year that are also important. To help you make sure you don’t miss any important 2017 deadlines, here’s a look at when some key tax-related forms, payments and other actions are due. Keep in mind that this list isn’t all-inclusive, so there may be additional deadlines that apply to you.

Please review the calendar and let us know if you have any questions about the deadlines or would like assistance in meeting them.

Read More

Topics: TAX TALK

TAX TALK: Avoid Late-Filing Penalties

Posted by Hal Zemel, CPA, J.D., LL.M. on Apr 17, 2017 10:46:00 AM

Because of a weekend and a Washington, D.C., holiday, the 2016 tax return filing deadline for individual taxpayers is Tuesday, April 18. The IRS considers a paper return that’s due April 18 to be timely filed if it’s postmarked by midnight. But dropping your return in a mailbox on the 18th may not be sufficient.

Read More

Topics: TAX TALK

TAX TALK: Tax Benefits of Home Ownership

Posted by Hal Zemel, CPA, J.D., LL.M. on Apr 11, 2017 11:59:00 AM

Currently, home ownership comes with many tax-saving opportunities. Consider both deductions and exclusions when you’re filing your 2016 return and tax planning for 2017:

Property Tax Deduction. Property tax is generally fully deductible for regular tax purposes. However, property taxes are not deductible if you are subject to the alternative minimum tax (AMT). You can claim a deduction on every property that you own.

Mortgage Interest Deduction. You generally can deduct interest on up to a combined total of $1 million of mortgage debt incurred to purchase, build, or improve your principal residence and a second residence. Points paid related to your principal residence also may be deductible.

Read More

Topics: TAX TALK

TAX TALK: Reminder - 2nd Quarter Deadlines for Businesses

Posted by Hal Zemel, CPA, J.D., LL.M. on Apr 3, 2017 10:04:00 AM

Here are some of the key tax-related deadlines affecting businesses and other employers during the second quarter of 2017. Keep in mind that this list isn’t all-inclusive, so there may be additional deadlines that apply to you. Contact us to ensure you’re meeting all applicable deadlines and to learn more about the filing requirements.

April 18

  • If you are a calendar-year C corporation, file a 2016 income tax return (Form 1120) or file for an automatic six-month extension (Form 7004), and pay any tax due. If the return isn’t extended, this is also the last day to make 2016 contributions to pension and profit-sharing plans.
  • If your are a calendar-year C corporation, pay the first installment of 2017 estimated income taxes.
Read More

Topics: TAX TALK

TAX TALK: Are You Eligible to Claim the American Opportunity Credit?

Posted by Hal Zemel, CPA, J.D., LL.M. on Mar 27, 2017 12:50:00 PM

College costs are high and increasing every year. The federal government offers a credit to help defray the costs of a college education. If you have a child in college, you may be eligible to claim the American Opportunity credit on your 2016 income tax return. However, the credit’s income limitations may preclude your ability to qualify for the credit. If you earn too much to take the credit, your child may be eligible to claim the credit.

Credit Limitations

The American Opportunity credit equals 100% of the first $2,000 of qualified expenses, plus 25% of the next $2,000 of such expenses. The credit is capped at $2,500 per student, per year for the first four years of postsecondary education.

The American Opportunity credit begins to phase out when modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) exceeds $160,000 for joint filers ($80,000 for others) and is completely eliminated when MAGI exceeds $180,000 for joint filers ($90,000 for others)

Read More

Topics: TAX TALK

TAX TALK: There is Still Time to Make 2016 IRA Contributions

Posted by Hal Zemel, CPA, J.D., LL.M. on Mar 20, 2017 11:00:00 AM

You have until the original due date for filing your federal 1040 to make a contribution to your individual retirement account (IRA). This year, due to Patriot’s Day, the IRS has moved the due date for filing to April 18, 2017 (normally it is April 15).  Depending on the type of IRA, you may receive a federal tax deduction for the contribution.

Other Benefits

Tax-advantaged retirement plans like IRAs allow your money to grow tax-deferred — or, in the case of Roth accounts, potentially tax-free. However, the annual contributions to the IRAs are limited, and any unused limit can’t be carried forward to make larger contributions in future years. The 2016 limit for total contributions to all IRAs generally is $5,500 ($6,500 if you were age 50 or older on December 31, 2016). If you make smaller contributions before the deadline, you will not be able to make additional contributions after the deadline to reach the annual limit.

Read More

Topics: TAX TALK

TAX TALK: Dependent Exemption for Elderly Parents

Posted by Hal Zemel, CPA, J.D., LL.M. on Mar 13, 2017 12:50:00 PM

If you are providing financial support for your aging parents, you may qualify to claim an exemption for them as a dependent on your tax return. The exemption allows eligible taxpayers to deduct up to $4,050 for each dependent claimed on their 2016 tax return.

Basic Qualifications

For your parents to qualify as your dependent, in most cases they must have less gross income for the tax year than the exemption amount. (Exceptions may apply if your parent is permanently and totally disabled).  Generally, their Social Security benefit is excluded from this income limitation, but income from dividends, interest, and retirement plans are included.

Also, you must have contributed more than 50% of your parent’s total financial support. If you shared caregiving duties with a sibling and your combined support exceeded 50%, you can claim the exemption even though no one individually provided more than 50%. However, only one of you can claim the exemption.

Other Considerations

Read More

Topics: TAX TALK

TAX TALK: Repair & Improvement Safe Harbors Help Accelerate Tax Deductions

Posted by Hal Zemel, CPA, J.D., LL.M. on Mar 6, 2017 12:50:00 PM

If last year your business made repairs to tangible property, such as buildings, machinery, equipment, or vehicles, you may be eligible to deduct the expenses on your 2016 income tax return. However, you must determine if the expenses qualify as “repairs,” and are not actually “improvements.”

The distinction between repairs and improvements is important. In general, a cost that results in an improvement to a building structure or any of its building systems (for example, the plumbing or electrical system) or to other tangible property must be capitalized and depreciated over a period of years.  But, you can take an immediate expense for the costs incurred for incidental repairs and maintenance.

Read More

Topics: TAX TALK

About Berdon Blogs

Our experts examine the latest trends, economics, business conditions and industry issues to provide timely information you need to maximize your tax advantages and meet your financial goals.

SALT TALK: Hear an insider’s perspective on the business issues, legislative updates in state and local tax, and tax aspects behind today’s headlines.

T&E TALK: Gain insights into how changes in tax laws, shifts in the financial markets, and regulatory concerns will impact assets and affect preserving and transferring wealth.

TAX TALK: Get an all-inclusive perspective on regulatory changes, industry issues, and trends from our team of multidisciplinary tax professionals – many of whom also hold J.D. and LL.M degrees.

Subscribe to Berdon Blogs

Recent Posts